Heat up the scene this winter season, by sporting a sizzling new look, without spending a dime! Now that the weather has cooled down, it is the perfect season to really utilize what you already have in your closet. Get creative and update the style/look of your favorite “old faithfuls!!” Whether it is a dress, suit, top, skirt, sweater, or what have you… you can totally change it up! All you need is the know-how, confidence, and a smile, and bam!! You’ll be “smokin” right down Santa Claus Lane…
First, have an idea of the look you’re going for, smoldering diva, hot mama, blazing dame, etc… Second rummage through your closet and pull all the pieces that make you look and feel your best. These pieces can be anything from hats to shoes, and anything in between (earrings, pants, scarf, stockings, clutch-purse, etc…). Be sure there is space to either hang or layout all your selections, so that you can easily see what you have and maximize all your options to the fullest. Next, allow your AlterEgo to come through… Be inventive and mix-and-match suit pieces, experiment with layers, accessories, and shoes, and come up with your very own sultry holiday look. And really, don’t dismiss anything until you have tried it on! This process can be a bit time-consuming but it is worth it! It’s best to play dress-up in front of a full length mirror, so you can get the full head-to-toe visual.
To help light your fashion fire I have transformed a single dress into 3 different looks (see below). I achieved each look/style, by simply changing up my accessories and shoes. If you need inspiration for your look, try searching online or through magazines.
Here are some tips on how to turn things up a notch:
- Make sure all clothing pieces, accessories, and shoes are clean and in good condition.
- To pull off any look, it is imperative that all undergarments and/or shapewear fit properly and match the hue of your outerwear. I will follow-up with a detailed article on undergarments (very soon), but for now here it is in a nutshell. Any visibility of your undergarments can instantly char your look. If you’re wearing dark outerwear, wear dark underwear. If you’re wearing white or pale outer hues, wear nude or beige underneath. If you don’t have the right underwear, find a Plan B for outwear.
- Jewelry pieces, they don’t have to be real or expensive… they just need to look the part! This means no visible chipped or faded enamel, no missing stones or gems.
- Use a belt to define your waist and enhance your shape. Try using a beautiful scarf, sash, strand of beads, or cool neck tie in place of a belt to create your own unique look.
- Let a single pair of shoes be all the difference. Take your outfit from day to night, by simply changing out your daytime shoes for a pair of spicy heels. I know heels/pumps aren’t for everybody, but I personally believe that pair of heels can make all the difference in the way you look and feel. Regardless, only wear what you feel most comfortable in. If heels aren’t your cup of tea, then try a swanky clutch purse to add some flair.
- Keep it simple and don’t get gaudy! This tip also applies to hair and make-up. Don’t go out looking over done, because the goal here is to look and feel effortlessly fabulous!
- Have fun, be patient, open-minded and a little daring, and you will be amazed with what you come up with.
Tell us about your “old faithful” favorites. Share your tips and thoughts on how to keep the flame lit with the oldies but goodies in your closet.